vrijdag 2 mei 2014

The customer is always right......or isn't he?

You might remember from the previous blog where I was making a leather handles knife with Tagua nut pommel and guard.

Well the other day he called me up to tell me that he was liking the knife as it was coming along (I send pictures of the progress to customers who give me an order).

He was worried about the pommel though. You see, it was attatched nicely. But instead of polishing the whole thing white....I decided to go with a more "natural look" where I left some of the skin on the outside. It looked like this:

You see the brown end on it? Well, I'd polished that out very nicely and it looked great.

However it wasn't to his taste. So I assured him that I could still change that no problem. I did and it now looks like this:


which should be more to his liking.

For me however I seriously had to debate  about whether I was willing to do that. I realised that sometimes....even if you believe the customer is wrong....he's still sort of right.

As long as you'd still be willing to have your name on a piece because it is a good piece. It doesn't really matter that it's not completely to your taste.

Sometimes...we just have to put up with small things that we don't like 100%.....and that's ok.

In this case. I made something that I'm proud of, that the customer is happy with and that makes me happy as a maker even if it's not 100% what I'd have made for myself.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten